To book an appointment with Dr. Lynda Smith please call 403-287-9201
WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE ACUPUNCTURE?
WHAT IS ACUPUNCTURE?
Acupuncture is a traditional eastern healing art that balances the vital energy QI (chee) in our bodies to restore health and function to organ systems. This therapy consists of inserting fine 'thread' like needles into certainpoints along a meridian to re-balance the flow of Qi.
HOW DOES ACUPUNCTURE WORK?
Acupuncture is an ancient medical therapy that involves inserting fine needles into selected points on the surface of the body to help stimulate the bodies natural ability to heal itself, reduce pain, modulate hormones and neurotransmitters and improve basic immune system function. Very fine needs are gently inserved in acupuncture points so that patients rarely feel any discomfort however, those individuals who are afraid of needles may wish to try acupressure instead.
Acupuncture can be used to treat both acute and chronic conditions. The latter will take longer to see results but improvements will happen over successive treatments. Each patient is unique in their symptoms and concerns, thus each treatment is individualized. Since acupuncture's subtle diagnostics seek to identify underlying causes, it is an effective preventative for curbing progression of symptoms towards disease.
DOES ACUPUNCTURE HURT?
Since pain receptors are located at the skin's surface, patients may feel a tiny prick as the needle is inserted. Once the needle has past the surface and has reached the underlying muscle, patients may feel some heaviness from stimulating the QI.
WHAT CONDITIONS DOES ACUPUNCTURE SUCCESSFULLY TREAT?
Lower Back Pain & Sciatica
Frozen Shoulder & Shoulder Pain
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Heaches (Migraine & Tension Headaches)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) Are the needles sterilized, one time use and what are they made from? Yes the needles are sterilized and are one time use. The needles are normally stainless steel but can be made from gold.
2) How deep do the needles go? Needles are inserted at varying depths and angles. All of this depends on the location on the body and the desired effect.
3) What should I expect when I come for an appointment? At the initial intake, the patient willbe asked a series of questions that will help the Doctor understand the concerns and imbalances that the patient is feeling. After the Doctor will examine the patient, take the patient's pulse and look at their tongue. A treatment that the Doctor sees fit will then be administered.
4) How many treatments would I need until I see results? Depending on how long the illness/concern has been with the patient will tell how many treatments one will need. Generally chronic conditions will need at least 10 treatments to notice greater improvements. Acute conditions may notice a difference on the first visit or the next.
5) How will I feel after a treatment? After a treatment many patients feel a little drowsy and relaxed. However in some cases, patients have noticed a burst of energy.
6)How do I prepare for the treatment? It is advisable that the patient comes in comfortable clothes andthat they have eaten something. Having a treatment on an empty stomach can cause a patient to feel faint and dizzy.
Copyright 2010 Integrative Health Centre Inc. All Rights Reserved.