Saliva Hormone Testing
Integrative Health Centre in Calgary can administer salivary hormone testing as an aid to evaluating hormonal imbalances in the body, ensuring all hormones are performing to maintain optimal health. In Alberta, naturopathic doctors do not prescribe hormones and a salivary hormone test can determine if seeing an MD for a prescription would be helpful in addressing symptoms.
Saliva hormone testing as a procedure is less invasive and more sensitive than blood value levels. A hormone saliva test involves the collection of a sample of a person’s saliva, which is then sent to a local lab for analysis and baseline value comparison. Generally, the results of salivary hormone testing in Calgary are returned to Integrative Health Centre within about 2-3 weeks.
After the results are received, we contact the patient via email and follow up in our office or by telephone as to recommending modifying or introducing hormone protocols.
Types of Saliva Testing for Hormones Available
Salivary Hormone Test
- The cost of the test will depend on the number of hormones being tested
- Provides a comprehensive look at the reproductive and adrenal system by analyzing the five most common hormones in the body: estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA and Cortisol
- Reveals the measure of hormone levels at one time of the day — a “snapshot” of your system
- Identifies many different hormone imbalances or deficiencies
- Common test for women experiencing peri-menopausal or menopausal symptoms to identify potential treatment protocols
Adrenal Fatigue Test
- $220 plus the cost of a visit, often covered by health insurance plans
- Provides a specific look at the most common stress-related hormones in the body: DHEA and Cortisol
- Sets a baseline sample of hormone levels at four differing times throughout the day — samples are taken at 8am, 12pm, 4pm, and 8pm
- Identifies stress related imbalances or deficiencies
- Common for anyone experiencing stress-related symptoms to identify treatment plans
Symptoms Detected by Saliva Testing for Hormones
Hormone saliva tests can detect subtle imbalances in hormonal levels which can be the source of several symptoms, such as:
- Sleep issues
- Exercise intolerance
- Stress intolerance
- Mood imbalance
- Hot flashes / night sweats
What is Salivary Hormone Testing, Exactly?
A hormone saliva test shows what your adrenal and reproductive system is doing so your naturopathic doctor can modify or support hormone production with supplements or even recommend safer hormone prescription items that your MD can prescribe. Saliva hormone testing in Canada is considered a guideline as opposed to a diagnostic analysis. However, a hormone saliva test is considered generally as the only way to provide answers to questions of direct hormone treatment protocol. This information can be invaluable when analysed by a naturopathic doctor that knows you, your symptoms and your history, and can understand what is happening within your body in a holistic approach. Book an appointment today for your saliva hormone testing in Calgary.